The “Original” Safety Thimble is designed to prevent the thimble from getting pulled into the fairlead where most accidents happen in winching, often due to winch “run-on” from electric winches. The Thimble is designed with several features to reduce the risks during the inherently dangerous activity of self-recovery with a winch. Unlike hooks and standard steel thimbles, the flat base lands flat on the face of the fairlead to prevent pulling through the fairlead and also prevents damage to rollers and the smooth radii of Hawse Fairleads It is designed to work with synthetic winch rope. The Safety Thimble forces the user to use safer connections than a shackle can afford when performing recovery operations. The Winch Safety Thimble is designed to allow the least number of connections due to the fact that an anchor shackle will fit the thimble either by the pin or the body of the shackle.
Features of the Safety Thimble
- The Safety Thimble is precision machined CNC 6061 Aluminum Heavy Duty Thimble.
- Anodized black with an Electrolytic Two Step Process to help resist fading.
- The diameter and shape of the eye on the Safety Thimble is designed to adhere to minimum radius requirements to achieve rated breaking strength of the synthetic lines.
- The design of the eye has a deep groove that allows protection against abrasion on synthetic winchline.
- The Flat Base design fits securely against the fairlead and will not damage the fairlead. This is important because a scratched fairlead causes abrasion on synthetic ropes that can cause them to break.
- Made in the USA! The Safety Thimble is 100% designed, manufactured, packaged and shipped in the USA.
Safety Thimble Sizes
The winch Safety Thimble comes in 3 different sizes depending on the size of the synthetic winch rope or application you are using:
Safety Thimble 1 : This is a smaller version for 3/16″ to 1/4″ synthetic ropes. These are perfect for ATV and side by sides that use the smaller winches. They are designed to be used with a 1/2″ shackle.
Safety Thimble 2 : This is the most commonly used Safety Thimble. It is designed for 5/16 to 3/8 synthetic ropes used on most Jeeps and off road vehicle winches. Designed for use with a 3/4″ anchor shackle.
Safety Thimble 3 : This is the same size as the Safety Thimble 2, but allows for the use of 1/2″ Synthetic Winch rope. Designed for use with a 3/4″ anchor shackle.
NOTE: Safety Thimbles are designed to be used with shackles for rigging. Hooks can not be used.