The Winch Safety Thimble manufactured by Tactical Recovery Equipment is the “Original” Safety Thimble designed by a Rock Crawler, in Johnson Valley, who noticed the need for a safer alternative to using hooks under extreme conditions. This product was designed in 1998 and has proven its durability, safety and usefulness over the years.
The Safety Thimble is designed to prevent the thimble from getting pulled into the Hawse Fairlead where most accidents happen in winching, often due to “run-on” from electric winches. The Winch Safety Thimble is designed with several features to reduce the risks during the inherently dangerous activity of self-recovery with a winch. Unlike hooks and standard steel thimbles, the flat base lands flat on the face of the fairlead to prevent pulling through the fairlead and also prevents damage to rollers and the smooth radii of Hawse Fairleads It is designed to work with Synthetic winch rope. The Safety Thimble forces the user to use safer connections than a shackle can afford when performing recovery operations. The Safety Thimble is designed to allow the least number of connections due to the fact that an anchor shackle will fit the thimble either by the pin or the body of the shackle.
Features of the Winch Safety Thimble
- The Safety Thimble is precision CNC machined 6061 Aluminum Heavy Duty Thimble.
- Each Safety Thimble is anodized black with an Electrolytic Two Step Process to help resist fading.
- The diameter and shape of the eye on the Safety Thimble is designed to adhere to minimum radius requirements to achieve rated breaking strength of the synthetic rope.
- The design of the eye has a deep groove that allows protection against abrasion on synthetic winch rope.
- The Flat Base design fits securely against the Hawse Fairlead and will not damage the fairlead. This is important because a scratched fairlead causes abrasion on synthetic ropes that can cause them to break.
- Made in the USA! The Safety Thimble is 100% designed, manufactured, packaged and shipped in the USA.
The Thimble is easy to install on winches using synthetic rope.
Safety Thimble Sizes
Choose your Safety Thimble by clicking one of the following links. The Safety Thimble comes in 3 different sizes depending on the size of the synthetic winch rope or application you are using:
Safety Thimble 1 : This is a smaller version for 3/16″ to 1/4″ synthetic ropes. These are perfect for ATV and side by sides that use the smaller winches. They are designed to be used with a 1/2″ shackle.
Safety Thimble 2 : This is the most commonly used Safety Thimble. It is designed for 5/16 to 3/8 synthetic ropes used on most Jeeps and off road vehicle winches. Designed for use with a 3/4″ anchor shackle.
Safety Thimble 3 : This is the same size as the Safety Thimble 2, but allows for the use of 1/2″ Synthetic Winch rope. Designed for use with a 3/4″ anchor shackle.
BEWARE of Imitators: There are other products “calling” their products winch safety thimbles. These products are inferior in design, safety and durability. 4LowParts only sells the “Original” Safety Thimble.